Skip to main content

MaineCare Common Questions

What kind of income counts?

Income is counted differently for different types of MaineCare coverage but here are some tips:

  • If you have an employer who pays you wages, you should report the full amount, minus any pre-tax withholding (such as 401(k) or flexible spending accounts).
  • If you are self-employed, report your net income (after business expenses and taxes). 
  • Child support will not be included as income.
  • In some cases, if you receive alimony that will be included.

If you have questions about what income counts, or are unsure whether you qualify, call our HelpLine at 1-800-965-7476.