Consumers for Affordable Health Care (CAHC) was designated by the Maine Attorney General and the Superintendent of Insurance as the state’s Consumer Assistance Program in 2010 as part of the Affordable Care Act. The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) runs a toll-free, statewide HelpLine that handles approximately 3,000 incoming calls per year from people who need assistance in finding quality, affordable health care coverage and other health programs. The CAP also educates social service professionals and individual consumers through workshops and outreach events in all 16 counties of Maine, multiple times per year, and maintains a comprehensive Online Health Care Guide. Finally, the CAP assists consumers in appealing denied health insurance claims.
The CAP currently has a Program Associate position open, and potentially more openings coming later in 2013. These positions are funded by one year grants, and continued employment after one year would be contingent upon continued availability of funding and successful job performance.
Successful candidates will perform the following duties:
- Answer the Consumer Assistance Toll-Free HelpLine and assist consumers with average to complex health coverage questions (training will be provided)
- Conduct client intakes regarding health insurance appeals and assist with case management as needed
- Refer callers to appropriate legal and social services agencies as needed
- Assist with developing and updating resources and materials on health coverage programs in Maine
- Assist with planning and promotion of Consumer Assistance Program workshops, including the registration process
- Educate the general public and others about health care programs and resources, including the services and availability of the Consumer Assistance Program as needed
- Mass email and web communications activities as needed
- Maintain accurate, updated records of HelpLine and Outreach activities for tracking, reporting, and marketing purposes
- Evaluate and report problematic trends or egregious problems related to CAHC mission to Program Manager and other CAHC staff
- Continually increase and update knowledge of laws, rules, regulations, programs and resources helpful to callers and relevant to CAHC mission
Minimum knowledge, skills, and educational requirements:
- Undergraduate Bachelor’s degree in a field related to the work outlined above; advanced degree and/or paralegal training or experience helpful
- Experience in working with people over the phone and in person regarding social services or health benefits
- Knowledge of MaineCare, subsidized insurance coverage, private insurance, and other health benefit programs such as the Affordable Care Act is preferred
- Ability to learn complex eligibility rules and apply them to a variety of factual situations
- Excellent organizational and listening skills
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Proficient use of internet research tools, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access
- Strict adherence to the confidentiality policies of the organization and CAP
- Sense of social justice and a commitment to the mission of the organization
- Ability to complete multiple assignments under tight time constraints and work independently
- Traits helpful to this position include being detail oriented, skilled at multitasking, and an ability to be self-initiated and self-motivated
- Schedule is typically Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm at our Augusta office, but occasionally will require nights and/or weekend availability and the ability to travel throughout the state as needed.
- Positions report directly to the Consumer Assistance Program Manager and work closely with the Staff Attorney.
Send a cover letter, résumé, names of three references, and a writing sample by Jan. 6, 2013 to the attention of Valerie Clark, Executive Assistant, Consumers for Affordable Health Care, P.O. Box 2490, Augusta, ME 04338-2490 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumers for Affordable Health Care is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Consumers for Affordable Health Care is a dynamic organization and job descriptions are not inclusive of all tasks anticipated at this time and may be adjusted periodically. All staff members are expected to enthusiastically engage in all regular office tasks necessary to get the job done, understanding that confidentiality and privacy of office, personnel, financial, programmatic and/or management information is imperative.
Consumers for Affordable Health Care is a proud member of MaineShare.